Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Sprouted Flour Tortillas

Yesterday I made Sprouted Wheat Tortillas from THIS recipe from Fresh Idea Mama.  I have never met her sister is a fellow homeschooling mama by me and she is so kindly going to give me some Kefir grains AND a Kombucha Scooby- how awesome is she!!!  
I made the recipe pretty much per her instructions except I used sprouted flour and they turned out very nice.  Not quite as soft as unbleached white wheat but maybe would have been if I would have sifted out the flour? 
Here's my little doughball flattened- sorry the picture quality is really bad on this one.
Here it is rolled out on my awesome Cherry Breakfast Board from Palumba.
It worked out great for this cause I could stand at the oven and cook one while I was rolling out the other.  I just rolled it on this little board and kept watch on the cooking one.
Here's one all finished. 

From http://www.freshideamama.com/
I only changed to sprouted but have made her way before and they are great!
Makes 8 Small Flour Tortillas
Ingredients:
* 1 3/4 cup unbleached white flour (I used sprouted)
* 3/4 tsp sea salt
* 1/4 tsp baking powder
* 1/4 cup coconut oil, softened
* 1/2 cup very hot water
* coconut oil for cooking

Directions:
1. Gently mix the flour, salt, and baking powder in a mixing bowl. Add the coconut oil, and work into the flour with a fork, or until crumbly.
2. Mix in the hot water and gently mix with a fork. Pour mixture on a lightly floured surface and knead for 3 minutes. Make the dough into a ball and place back in the bowl, cover with a towel and let rest 15 minutes.
3. Divide the dough into 8 separate balls and roll with your hands to make as smooth as possible. Then flatten each ball in to a paper thin circle using your palm, *make sure they are really thin or they will turn out more like a pancake. (you can also use a rolling pin, but I find using my palm is much easier and makes a much more evenly round tortilla).
4. Preheat an oiled skillet on medium heat. Cook the tortillas one at a time by placing them in the hot greased pan and cook for about 40 seconds or until small air bubbles appear. Flip over and cook for another 40 seconds, and then finish by flipping over one last time for another 20 seconds. You know it is done when it will slightly puff up, and small browned spots will form on the surface. *Do not let the pan get too hot or you will get burned spots, and continue to grease skillet as necessary.
5. Let cool and freeze unused tortillas

No comments: